Thursday, January 22, 2009

A predator in the hand...

Is worth 3 in the bush!

A friend o mine invited me up to his farm fer some predator hunting. Seems the buggers were eatin all his deer, not ta mention his neighbours sheep.
Well, ya don't have ta ask me twice! I pack up and was gone in an hour.
First stand, I set up the foxpro bout 30 yards upwind, and take cover in an old abandoned barn. It's got a bunch a missing wall boards, but cut the wind a little (was round -20 in the wind).
I start off with the "DSG cottontail", and it wasn't 10 minutes that I had a taker. Now, round these parts, there is the odd wolf that will come in, and if this wasn't a wolf, he was the king of coyotes!
At about 75 yards out, he comes to a stop n sits down, nose in the air. He doesn't look too worried, but don't wanna come any closer to that barn. Close enough fer a shot, though, so I switch the caller to "baby cottontail", a kinda coaxer call, and tell my shooter ta go ahead.
Farmer Ed is lookin pretty exited, as he swings up his ancient Winchester 30/30 and lets fly! I suppose he was expectin this wolf to leap 5 feet up, cause that's where the bullet sailed over his back...
After that big boom, I tried some howlin, but no go. I told him the jig was up, n we should change stands. He looked out into that howlin wind, and said he wanted ta head in fer the night. I sez, well, lets try a little while longer, and sure enough, called in a nother. This was much smaller, but still nice. This one hung at bout 150 yards, and no matter what I tried, wasn't gonna come any further. I told Farmer Ed ta go head n shoot, but when he reached fer the old gun leannin against the wall, it was gone.
Now, I know what yer gonna say. Why was the gun leannin on the wall? Well, that's just Farmer Ed style huntin. Least I had convinced him not to light up a smoke on the stand...
After chores the next day we again head out. Temperature is bout the same, but no wind, so we try sittin in a 2 man tree stand, with the caller 50 yards out at a field edge. After bout half n hour of 3 minutes DSG, 5 minutes of silence, a big yote comes boundin across the field. I start the coaxen, and Ed shoulders the rifle, squeezes, and....CLICK! Bugger forgot ta load it! Yote sees the movement and streaks off. I drop the caller remote and swing up my mini 14 ranch rifle n get off a few quick shots, but no hits.
All in all, not bad fer eastern coyote hunting. I got to call a wolf and 2 yotes, and will be able ta razz my buddy fer months ta come!

2 comments:

Tom Sorenson said...

I still say coyote huntin' is about as thrilling as anything. I shore do like seein' them come on a run, sneaking low to the ground, then sit at the edge of some brush to ponder the situation.

bushman said...

Hey, Tom. Ya, I agree. I think they are the smartest prey. Just look at what you can train ther dog cousins ta do...