Monday, November 10, 2008

Ulu Ree-vu

The Suburban Bushwacker gave me the idea fer this...a knife review!

Saw a guy flesh a big bear last year using one a these and just had to try it. Its called an ULU knife (pronounced ooloo).

The ULU Factory says: "it is the most renowned knife in Alaska. Native people of northern Alaska invented this knife centuries ago. It is used for hunting, fishing, skinning, filleting and every other imaginable domestic cutting need by the Inuit (Eskimo) people."

Well, good enough for the Inuit, good enough fer me. I ordered mine at Halford Hides , which has great shippin prices on orders over $200-free! Needed some wolf traps anyways, so...

I ordered the 5" Alaska. Price was right at $14.80. I was a little surprised at how small it was, but man it works great! Know when yer skinnin, how you sometimes hold the knife by the blade for more control? That's the idea here. Lots of control over the cut. Make sure you pull the hide tight, and use a sweeping motion.

Here's a pic:






And on the job:



I think I may order the bigger "Inupiat" style and give er a try, prolly work real nice for caping...

No comments: